Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Americans and Moldovans!

Day 4: Wednesday March 3, 2010

Elise hit all the high points from Wednesday. But I just noticed a few differences between Moldovans and Americans today. After struggling to get out of bed this morning and waking up with a headache we went to the 'McDrive' at McDonalds. All the Americans ordered coffee, but the Moldovans didn't. I didn't think much of it at first but they knew something we didn't. There's no such thing as fast food and eating in your car in Moldova. The roads have tons of potholes and as we were bouncing up and down on the way to Strasheni--coffee and sugar was flying everywhere.

Once we arrived, we did our photo-op and interviews and then got to work. I was so pumped about the extractions that I jumped on the opportunity to do it again. This time...not so much. Victor, my patient, cried his way out of getting the extractions. No amount of reassurance helped him (plus he didn't understand English). Oh well...

I worked with Oxsana (the PhD student) today and we had our ipod shuffles playing. She's shy and reserved, but very sweet and funny. I died laughing when Coolio's 'Gangster's Paradise' came on and she started rapping the lyrics to me. We were having too much fun! I guess Moldovans and Americans aren't that different after all....

No comments:

Post a Comment